When I posted about inventing Anti-Zombie Brownies (otherwise known as Brainies) in preparation for the Zombie Apocalypse, I failed to include the recipe. That is because I was making it up as I went along and I wasn’t confident a repeat performance would be a success (assuming I could even remember what I did).
It has, since then, been weighing heavily on my mind that my friends will, as a consequence, be inadequately prepared when it comes to dealing with the zombie horde and that any subsequent death or injury would be on my head.
So, here – as best I can remember it – is the recipe for Anti-Zombie Brownies. (Yes, okay, Distract-The-Zombie Brownies then. Pedant.)
I would recommend testing them on a substitute zombie before confronting the real thing. Teenage boys dragged out of bed early in the morning make the best test subjects.
Anti-Zombie Brownies (Brainies)
100g butter, chopped
200g white chocolate, broken into pieces
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 cup plain flour
1 cup frozen raspberries
100g white chocolate, chopped roughly
pink and red food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 170°C or 150°C fan-forced. Grease and line a baking tray approx 18cmx27cmx3cm.
2. Place butter and 200g white chocolate in a large saucepan and stir over low heat until melted. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
3. In a bowl, combine flours, raspberries and 100g chopped white chocolate.
4. Add 1/2 tsp of pink food colouring to the melted butter and chocolate mixture and stir until evenly coloured.
5. Add eggs and vanilla to chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
6. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
7. Press mixture into baking tray.
8. Dip a toothpick into red food colouring and run swirly lines in the mixture in a criss-cross pattern (you’ll need to recoat the toothpick several times). Then smooth top with back of spoon.
9. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool in tin.
10. Cut into zombie-suitable sized pieces.
Disclaimer: I have not been game to re-test this recipe so you undertake the task at your own risk.